replica handbags

The Fulbright Program
In 1945, Senator J. William Fulbright introduced the innovative Fulbright Bill to the United States Congress and on August 1, 1946 President Harry S. Truman signed the Fulbright Act into law, establishing a program of diplomacy through educational exchange. This was a creative effort to promote mutual understanding between the United States and other countries. The Fulbright Act mandated the sale of surplus military equipment from World War II to fund “the promotion of international good will” and, as Senator Fulbright liked to say, “turn swords into plowshares”.

The Fulbright Program in Thailand
The Fulbright Program in Thailand was established in 1950 with the creation of the United States Educational Foundation in Thailand through a bilateral agreement between the governments of Thailand and the United States of America. The agreement was signed on July 1, 1950 by Foreign Minister of Thailand, Colonel Nai Warakarn Bancha and American Ambassador to Thailand, Mr. Edwin F. Stanton.

Funding
The United States Educational Foundation in Thailand’s initial annual operating budget from the US State Department was set at approximately four million baht, similar to that provided to New Zealand and the Netherlands.

The earliest programs included in-country scholarships for talented rural Thai students to study in American-sponsored secondary and nursing schools in Thailand, scholarships for air transportation for Thai students furthering their studies in the U.S. and scholarships for travel and maintenance for visiting American professors, teachers, and researchers coming to Thailand.

Gradually, Congressional funding for the Fulbright Program increased, allowing a wider variety of bilateral educational exchange opportunities. By 1963, the Program had expanded to the point that a new cooperation agreement was negotiated and signed by Foreign Minister of Thailand, Dr. Thanat Khoman, American Ambassador to Thailand, Mr. Kenneth T. Young, Jr. The new agreement provided for a full range of bilateral educational exchanges including programs for students, trainees, teachers, professors, and specialists in various fields.

Beginning in 1989, the Thai government agreed to provide an annual contribution to the Fulbright Program. From an initial annual sum of two million baht, Thailand’s contribution was raised to five million baht in 1997, representing 13% of the Foundation’s overall budget. In 2008, the Thai government approved an increase of its annual contribution to 15 million baht or 36% of the total budget.

Program Management
Until 1963, the Fulbright Program in Thailand was operated by the United States Educational Foundation in Thailand. It was renamed the Thailand-U.S. Educational Foundation (TUSEF) after the signing of the 1963 agreement, to reflect its bi-national character and mutual interest in its activities. The Foundation is popularly referred to as “Fulbright”.
 


Thailand - United States Educational Foundation (TUSEF/Fulbright Thailand) Thai Wah Tower 1, 3rd floor, 21/5 South Sathorn Road, Bangkok 10120, Thailand
Tel : (66) 0-2285-0581-2 Fax : (66) 0-2285-0583  Email : tusef@fulbrightthai.org